Unexpectedly, I just finished a song I've been working on since last quarter (or before last quarter?)... it's hard to remember. I won't explain the meaning because I think it's easy to understand anyway and I don't want to over-explain. Although it's very personal, I want the reader or listener to take away their own meaning from it. I think it includes feelings and thoughts that most people share in some capacity or another. At first, I was scared the words were all over the place but I think it all tied together pretty nicely.
"Supposed to Be"
If I could only fit inside my dreams at night
and stay there for a day or two until i find
the road back home, I'd gladly go...
oh, you know, I'd gladly go
If I could step outside my skin and walk between
birth and death and right and wrong, the sky and sea,
would I come back with answers or
would I come back just wanting more?
But all I need is right here in front of me
and I'm going to stand on my own two feet
and do my own walking down my own old street,
and when I hear the bird sounds above
your voice telling stories, our hearts beating love,
I'll know that I'm where I'm supposed to be.
Well, I know you have troubles and that I have mine
I have never dealt well with the passing time,
but if it were passed with you
I think I could make it through
When all is said and all is done I'll be happy
with maps and photographs laid out so I can see
that life's a quilt that's slowly sewn,
with well-worn patches stitched to show
that all I need is right here in front of me
and I have stood on my own two feet
and done my own walking down many old streets,
and I still hear the bird sounds above
your voice telling stories, our hearts beating love,
and I'll know I'm where
well, I've always been there,
but I'm where I'm supposed to be.
Funny how I haven't been able to finish it for months and the last half just popped into my head this morning! I'm glad because I've been waiting for a long time.
1 comment:
I really like this one. I think you achieved your aim -- the lyrics are personal yet are open to the application of the listener. We all feel lost. We all share existential crises. I think that you bring out that tenderness of existence here and you allow yourself to just feel. I love it baby.
I miss you so much today. I wish I could hug you right now!
love,
Ricky
Post a Comment