Wednesday, December 24, 2008

meet me in the forest / 1:33 pm

I recently finished writing a new song called "Meet Me In the Forest." Here are the lyrics:

Tonight we will meet by the forest to see
the moon rise up and over
the snow-capped hills and trees.
Let us walk blindly and hold hands so tightly;
mitten yarn and ancient stars
will keep us safe and warm.

and I will tell you stories I learned when I was young(er)-
the lullabies, the arms, the sky
that taught my heart to love, love.

The fox will hide, the rabbit will run
leaving tracks for sentences;
we'll read them one by one.
And when our legs grow weary, our sleep too much to carry,
we'll lay our heads upon a bed
of last year's leaves to rest.

will you sing me every song you carry me in your soul?
send every word and melody 
to settle in my bones, bones.

And someday we may not remember
the right words to recall time and place.
Promise me you'll meet me in the forest,
promise me you'll come back to this place.

It is a song of both sadness and comfort. One of my fears is forgetting memories, forgetting the past and not being able to hold on to those I love most, so the lyrics are very personal. 

The verses supply imagery for the song with the goal of of creating a peaceful scene of a forest surrounded by hills, untouched snow, the moon and stars... a safe and beautiful place. The first chorus mentions lullabies, arms, and sky. The lullabies and arms represent my parents and the love they gave me as a child (and continue to give me). The sky represents another part of my childhood-- climbing trees, playing outside, being free. The second chorus is directed toward Adam but also toward anybody I love very much. When I love someone, I find myself wanting to know every little thing about them... what makes them who they are, what they have experienced whether good or bad. The question, "Will you sing me every song you carry in your soul?" is meant to convey the need to get to know someone on a very close, very deep level and the need to know that person so well that their stories, their songs become a part of you as well.

The last four lines are where the sadness and comfort of the song meet. As I mentioned, I am afraid of losing memories and people, of forgetting. This could be caused by something as terrible as Alzheimer's and dementia or something as natural as old age and the passing of time. My hope is that if I or anyone I love should lose the ability to describe our memories in words, we can at least go back in our minds and find other ways to recall the past. The forest symbolizes the memories, the place in our minds where we can go back and relive the past.  "Promise me you'll meet me in the forest" is actually a promise that, even if we can no longer speak of memories coherently, we will still be remembering them.... we will figuratively and mentally meet at a place that is special and sacred to both of us. 

1 comment:

Dalbanese said...

Hi Caitlin-this is Dale. I followed your comment from Adam's first Ecuador post to your site.

These are lovely lyrics and a wonderful description of the meaning. Thank you for sharing.

Hope that you are enjoying a much deserved break from school. I hope you have the chance to gather strength for the next quarter. Look forward to meeting you over the summer!