as the sun shines
as a leaf or two falls to the cold cold ground.
I know that I should be bettering myself in textbooks
or a stuffy sixth floor cubicle
with an out of tune too-soft or too-loud piano.
But instead I sit here typing my thoughts
and reading books that take me to better places
or at least places that I've never been to.
I am naked with wet hair, wrinkled fingertips
the very same fingertips that emerged
twenty years ago and that is
what amazes me.
I used to be in awe of cities and highways and how machines like trains and airplanes could possibly work... but, recently, I have forgotten about these things humans have built and have found wonder in my body, in all of our bodies, in animals' bodies. Everything is so fragile. There are so many things that could go wrong (and do go wrong). The way our hearts work, our brains work, our ligaments and tendons work, our senses... it scares and delights me. It baffles me, really. For years, I have taken the body for granted. For years! And to think that my body will be part of the earth someday... it all makes sense. It is a comfort to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment