Tuesday, February 15, 2011

space between

things I noticed this evening on my first run (in a long time):

lots of chittering, scampering squirrels
that it feels nice to say hello to the people I pass on the sidewalk
that it feels nice when they say hello back
my shadow--and how it misses Adam's shadow
my elementary/middle school and how distant those years seem
the houses of old classmates that I'll probably never see again
the space between my feet and the ground
the connection between my feet and the ground
the moon always ahead of me--chasing it
the sky as it changes what must be a million shades of blue
(and one shade precisely the color contained in 1/3 of Adam's irises)
branches against the almost-night sky
how nice it feels to use my muscles
an elevated mood
my heartbeat pulsing in my head and chest
a black cat sprinting across the street
a dog sniffing in a yard (doberman)
the wonderful kind of fatigue I only get when using my body
silence with an excess of free thoughts that I can't remember now

1 comment:

Beans with Garlic said...

I love this entry because it wonderfully describes that singular feeling of night runs/early morning dark runs. I don't understand anymore why people run or walk with iPods.

my shadow misses yours too.

Love,

Puppy